Friday, February 25, 2011

Critters!

It's been awhile since I last posted. I've been busy with commissions, that I'll hopefully be able to post later. In the mean time, here's some personal sketches I've been working on. Alien critters!

I always enjoy having a few "rules" to play by when I create new creatures and characters. It helps keep me focused on important aspects of the design and the opportunity to find creative solutions on how to work within my rules.

One of the rules for this set of xeno-animals is that none of them could have true teeth (the predators' fangs are part of the skull), and they must have scaly, avian/reptilian feet. With just those two rules, I've made five different creatures, each with its own niche. Hopefully, their roles will be clear from their designs. (Click the image for a bigger view.)




  • The nova-frill is a small arboreal creature that eats fruits and nuts. Its brightly colored frill changes color and fans out to frighten predators.
  • The poiga is an herbivore that lives in lowland jungles and marshes.
  • The firetail is a pack predator and scavenger that inhabits grasslands. Males have a brightly-colored tail to attract mates.
  • The terror-bear is an apex predator that prefers temperate and taiga forests.
  • The skaptopus is a small jungle insectivore, and a good swimmer.
These have been a lot of fun, and I've also enjoyed getting critique from and bouncing ideas off of  Leah. I'll probably do another set of creatures like this in the near-ish future.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment